What is an early pregnancy scan?
An early pregnancy, also referred to as viability or dating scan is performed from 6 – 11 weeks of pregnancy. It will confirm a pregnancy, its viability and establish an estimated due date. The scan is available to all women, and particularly recommended if there has been pain, bleeding or history of complications in previous pregnancies.
It is not normally available on the NHS which is an added reason why our team at the Clinic strives to offer the best care and reassurance to our patients during this initial stage of their pregnancy.
What will the scan examine?
- The scan will measure the size of a gestational sac or an embryo, confirming the number of weeks of pregnancy and an estimated due date.
- It will check for the correct intra-uterine position of the pregnancy, in order to establish whether the pregnancy is ectopic
- It will listen for and measure the foetal heartbeat at this stage, in order to assess the viability of the pregnancy
How is the early scan done?
The scan is usually performed trans-abdominally, with the ultrasound probe gliding gently across the surface of the abdomen.
However, if the pregnancy is in its earliest stage, or in a case of concern over possible ectopic pregnancy, an internal scan might be necessary (with your consent, of course) in order to provide the best results. Both methods are entirely free of pain or discomfort, but please do let us know if you have any concerns or questions with regards to either method, or if you might be allergic to latex.
What is included?
- Full medical report and images are included in this scan.
- Our medical team will also be able to discuss any concerns you might have and provide guidance and advice.
- Should you need to see an Obstetrician, we will organise a full consultation with our expert in the early fetal development
What are the preparations for this scan?
A full bladder will improve the visibility of the pregnancy by trans-abdominal scan so we recommend drinking up to 4 cups of water one hour before your appointment time.
How easy is to book an appointment?
We introduced an easy and user friendly online booking system for your convenience. We understand the pressures of our fast-lane lifestyles nowadays and strive to meet your busy schedule by offering a fast-track, same day appointments during weekdays and Saturdays, as well as 2 evening clinics each week (appointments after 5pm carry a £20 supplemental charge).
Easy to Book a Scan
We follow your schedule- choose the time that suits you