What is a Kidney and Bladder scan?
A Kidney and Bladder ultrasound, also known as an Urinary Tract ultrasound, is a scan of the kidneys, ureters and bladder.
The scan uses high frequency sound waves in order to investigate the inside of those organs and produce images, which help identify the cause of symptoms you might be experiencing. The scan is entirely painless and safe, with no side-effects.
Some of the common reasons to have the scan are:
- Abdominal pain or swelling
- Difficulty initiating or maintaining urination
- Difficulty in emptying the bladder, known as urinary retention
- Incontinence or accidental leakage of urine
- Urinary frequency and urgency (day or night)
- Recurrent urinary infections
- Pain in the abdomen, upper or lower back, or groin
- Blood in the urine
- Kidney disease
How is the Kidney and Bladder scan performed?
This scan is performed in a comfortable reclining position, A small amount of ultrasound water-based gel is applied to your abdominal area and the ultrasound probe then glides gently across the area.
We might ask you to turn on your sides for the better view of the kidneys.
What will the scan examine?
The scan will examine kidneys and bladder in detail:
- Bladder scan will focus on the bladder wall, diverticula (pouches) of the bladder, bladder stones and large tumors in the bladder.
- Kidney ultrasound can show if the kidneys are in the right place or if they have blockages, kidney stones, or tumors.
What is included:
- An immediate full diagnostic report
- High resolution digital images
- Short consultation and advice following the results
Is someone available at the clinic to discuss further questions/ concerns after the scan?
Yes, an ultrasound specialist Doctor will be available to talk to if you have additional questions or concerns.
What are the preparations for this scan?
It is important to ensure your bladder is full for the scan- please drink up to 4 cups of water one hour before the appointment time.
How easy is to book an appointment?
We introduced an easy and user friendly online booking system for your convenience.
We understand the pressures of our fast-lane lifestyles nowadays and strive to meet your busy schedule by offering a fast-track, same day appointments during weekdays and Saturdays, as well as 2 evening clinics on alternate days each week.
Easy to Book a Scan
We follow your schedule- choose the time that suits you